Saturday, April 26, 2008

garage rock

GARAGE ROCK HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE. I am going to overdose on Be Your Own Pet but I just can't stop myself, they're so good. Two of my friends and I have started a punk rock band (more pop-punk, I guess). We don't have a name yet because I keep objecting to their suggestions, but we have two songs and an idea for a third. I think I might try to convince them to go a little more garage rock than truly punk, because I am so into it right now. I also just like the sound better (that is, if I understand the distinction between punk and garage rock the way I think I do). I keep worrying that I am going to sing too cutely because I am so used to twee, but my friend Kath mentioned a few "chirpy" punk-y rock singers that I like so maybe that'll actually work out. I am worried that I am going to imitate Jemina's voice, too, but I'll try to keep that under control. She has so much attitude! In the best way! I really like that Be Your Own Pet is so noisy, too. That's why I wanted to start this band with my buds. I can't actually contribute much except lyrics (mostly things I shouldn't say in normal conversation) and vocals. But even with that, being noisy is so good.

Be Your Own Pet - Heart Throb
Be Your Own Pet - Bog

In addition to Be Your Own Pet's self-titled album and "Get Awkward," I have been listening to this compilation of West Coast East Side Sound, "The East Side Sound: 59-68," that I got from my library. It is so fantastic! Did you all know about the West Coast 60s garage rock scene? Why didn't you tell me? I'm going to highlight a few of my new favorites over a few posts and if you know anything more about any of them you should holla. I haven't been able to find much so far, probably because Gullbuy.com says "The East L.A. scene from the 1960s of Mexican-American bands is a vastly under-rated scene that is best remembered for hits like The Premiers' 'Farmer John' and Cannibal & the Headhunters' 'Land of a Thousand Dances.'" I'll try to find more tracks and information, but until then you should go find this album. It's from Dionysus Records/Bacchus Archives, c1996. I think it is actually part of a four volume series, so pick up whatever you can find.

First up, Las Dilly Sisters! (This post accidentally became a tribute to young, girl voices in garage rock. Yeah!)


Las Dilly Sisters - Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White

From Radio Rumpus Room: "Las Dilly Sisters [are] a tiny yet tuneful pair of Mexican pre-adolescents who, back in 1968, covered the Standells' signature song in a most astounding manner." That's true--it is so astounding. I don't know why they started playing or who started recording these little girls with guitars but I am so glad they were rocking out as babies. From what I can tell, The Dilly Sisters were also on this 60s children's television program, Banana Splits, fairly frequently. The gag seems to be that every time the characters look outside (through a door or a window or a bananascope) they see the girls playing guitars accompanied by overwhelmingly cute sing-song voices. The camera usually ends with an overhead shot. I'm not really sure why this is supposed to be funny--maybe the characters get annoyed by them? If that's the case, it seems pretty mean--the Dilly Sisters are so cute! It seems like a silly show, so maybe it's just supposed to be absurd. Anyhow, some of the clips I found on YouTube are in Spanish, but it's hard to tell if they are dubbed or original because it's a H.R. Pufnstuf-style puppet show so the mouths don't really line up in either language. I have a feeling it was originally in English based on the voices used, though.




Maybe I can get my bandmates to cover Ta-ra-ra Boom-de-ay!

No comments: